Tax Preparation for Travelers

Have Tax Home Questions?

The tax home consult was developed to meet the needs of travelers who want to make sure they are maintaining their tax home. Schedule a tax home consult to break down your specific situation!

Learn More

Want to Know How to Get Started?

Confused about traveler taxes? Don’t know where to start filing a Crossborder or International return? Look no further! We are here to help!

Learn More

Helpful Links

We’ve curated a selection of links to websites that may help you learn and get connected to the traveler community.

Learn More

Our Filing Process


Fill Out Workbook & Send Us Your Tax Documents

You may send your workbook & travel contracts, driver’s license, voided check, tax documents to us via:

Upload: Client Portal

During tax season, documents are processed within 24 to 72 business hours.

First time clients: Upload via the Guest Exchange option until given a personal portal account by us after appointment.

Returning clients: Login to your portal to upload your documents.  If you have forgotten your password, just click on forgot username/ password!

Fax: 1-877-872-8829


TravelTax, LLC

46 Saint Mark Road

Taylors, SC 29687


We Will Contact You to Schedule Appointment (Unless If You Opted for an Email Return)

Our documents team will process your paperwork and our admin staff will contact you via email/phone to schedule your tax appointment. 

Email Return clients: If you selected to file your return via email, you will not have a phone appointment scheduled.  Instead, a staff member will contact you via email to get your return started.


Sign Your Tax Return to Authorize Us to File It

Without your review, consent and signature, we cannot electronically file or mail in your tax return!

You will be instructed to go to our secure Client Portal to electronically sign your tax return. If for some reason you are unable to electronically sign your return, we can upload signature pages which you can download, print and sign and upload to us on our portal.

We strongly recommend for you to create an account with the IRS to be able to see where you are at in the process or to check on your Federal refund status. To check on your state refund, go to that state’s department of revenue website to check refund status.


We Will Send Your Invoice After Appointment

Our billing staff will send your invoice after you have had your tax appointment with our preparer whether over the phone or via email.

TravelTax Guarantee: Our pricing includes the guarantee that anything we sign we defend (if you are a current client and need audit representation for a return we prepared, we will represent you free of charge.)

Workbook, Receipt Envelope & Crypto Reporting


Our 2021 Workbook is AVAILABLE below!  For us to do your taxes, the workbook needs to be completed and submitted to us (put N/A in any section(s) that do not apply to you). A wise traveler will download it on their first assignment and document each assignment as you go through the year. Trust us, it is much easier that way. In the process of filling it out, you will learn what records need to be kept.

NOTE: Only if you want an Email Return should you fill out the Email Return Agreement (on pg. 3), otherwise skip that page! 


  • Download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC program on your computer (it is a free download, no sign up/password required).
  • Save the workbook on your computer.
  • Open the workbook from the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC program (just installing it isn’t enough, open workbook from there).
  • Type and save workbook as often as you need to using Adobe Reader
  • If all else fails, you may print it out and fill out by hand.

(Mac users: Do not fill out workbook in Apple Preview mode as it will not save your work and will print it out blank.)

2021 Workbook

Receipt Envelope 

Our Receipt Envelope is helpful to help keep track with your receipts. In 2018 the standard deduction increased significantly, but there might be some deductions at the state level that you might want to deduct and keep up with in the following states: AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY, PA and MA (transit passes).

Receipt Envelope

Cryptocurrency Accounting

If you have cryptocurrency that you need to account for please make sure to check out link below! Accointing is a partner and they’re giving our customers a 20% discount if you use link below when you use their services!

Accointing (Crypto)

Frequently Asked Questions

A permanent residence/address is where you maintain your legal ties. Your driver’s license, car registration, voter’s registration, etc., are your legal ties to an area.

A tax home is your regular place of income. However, if you are a traveler who maintains your tax home with duplicated expenses, your permanent residence should be consistent with your tax home location.

Generally, your tax home is “the entire city or general area where your main place of business or work is located, regardless of where you maintain your family home”.

If you are a traveler receiving tax free stipends, the answer is yes! You still need to keep your documentation for your tax home to justify your per diems! In an audit, no documentation could mean a tax liability, so keep those records!

These are maximum daily rates that can be given to an employee without an exchange of receipts. They cover lodging and meals for days an employee is away from home on the business of the employer (also called CONUS and OCONUS rates).

Sorry, it does not exist. Nope! Nada! No basis in IRS code.  The “50-mile rule” is an internal company guideline for their own policies or a facility rule for premium pay. They are not based on IRS guidelines.  Just because you sleep away from home, does not mean that an assignment 30 miles away qualifies you. It still has to be farther than a normal commute for a local. Maybe 90 min or more?

The IRS can be notoriously vague with their terms. As a result, we have done our best to develop a few concrete suggestions for travelers.

  1. Spend AROUND 30 days a year at home.
  2. Do not stay in any one area for more than 12 out of 24 months.
  3. Do not return to any one area a third year in a row.
  4. Remember that there are 50 states out there! Go somewhere else!

Understandably, being audited is a significant fear for travelers.  While it is true that a traveler has a higher chance of an audit, that is no reason to stay in a boring job!

If you have a solid tax home and keep good paperwork, you should not wind up with any financial damage. Just hassle. If you use TravelTax, there is no charge for audit defense for any return we prepare and file.

As a company, we suggest that the goal is to go to your tax home 30 days a year or 60 days every 2 years.  These 30 days do not have to be consecutive.  Otherwise you would be considered as having abandoned your tax home.

Keep your records for a minimum of 7 years!

One item many travelers fail to keep is contracts. Every traveler needs to keep copies of their travel contracts! In case of an audit, it is their only proof that they really had a temporary assignment and get to keep all of those per diems as tax-free. You may also send a copy of your travel contracts to us throughout the year or when you file your taxes with us, via our secure Client Portal for additional record keeping.

The website for the GSA rates is a site that allows you to look up all current rates in every city.  Occasionally you may run into a company that uses the High-Low Substantiation rates. These are GSA rates that are averaged into two categories. They are not published on the GSA site but issued as a PDF annually. If you Google the term, you will be able to get the current version.

States with no income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, Wyoming.  Also, Washington, D.C. is tax-free for a non-resident and the US Virgin Islands only has a federal tax.

Highest income tax states: These are harder to evaluate, as what is taxed can flip-flop based on the different brackets and rates. But according to our own experience with travelers the top ten usually are: California, Montana, Maryland, Maine, Minnesota, Utah, Oregon, Wisconsin, New York, North Carolina, and Hawaii. (No particular order)

Need Guidance as a New Traveler? TravCon is a great resource!

Open Video iFrame 2021 TravCon Highlights