Canadian-US Cross-Border

Please note: Due to the complex nature of cross-border returns, the Canadian return filing process could take a couple of months.
Also, there are specific filing situations that could require longer filing times (we will break those down in our FAQs soon).

Main Workbook

TO USE THE WORKBOOK AS A PDF FILL, YOU MUST DOWNLOAD ADOBE READER PROGRAM IF NOT ON YOUR COMPUTER (It is a free download, no sign up/password required).  Save the workbook on your computer. Then OPEN THE WORKBOOK IN THE ADOBE ACROBAT READER DC PROGRAM (because just installing it isn’t enough, you will have to make sure you use it).  You will then be able to type and save it as often as you need to using Adobe Reader (download Adobe here). Or you can just print it out and handwrite the answers.

If you have your business records in Excel/QuickBooks format, you can upload those to us and note that in the workbook.

2020 Workbook

Canadian Supplement

This is a short demographics page for your Canadian information. To do your US taxes, we will still need you to send us the Main Workbook.

Canadian Supplement

FBAR – Federal Bank Account Reporting

All individuals present more than 183 days in the US, US citizens, and Green card holders with more than 10K in the aggregate outside of the US (including retirement accounts) must complete this form. This even includes accounts that you may only have signatory authority.

FBAR Reporting

Canadian Questionnaire

This is to help streamline your appointment. Fill out what you know, skip anything that does not apply. We recognize that some of these issues are the very things you want to talk about. Answer those questions with a “?.”

Canadian Questionnaire
Open Video iFrame Basic Canadian Tax Filing Process

Ready to Get Started?

Confused about traveler taxes? Don’t know where to start filing a Crossborder or International return? Look no further! We are here to help! Please review our process below to get started!

Our Canadian Return Filing Process


Fill Out Workbook, Canadian Forms & Send To Us With Your Tax Documents

You may send documents to us via:

  • Secure Client Portal
  • Fax: 1-877-872-8829 or
  • Mail:  TravelTax, LLC, 46 Saint Mark Road, Taylors, SC 29687

2021 Workbook will be available soon (pending tax law changes!)



Fill out Power of Attorney form if you have not departed Canada

A Power of Attorney form is something we need to submit in order to  request your IRS transcript used to be processed in a couple of weeks but now it takes a couple of months.


We Will Contact You to Schedule Appointment

Our documents team will process your paperwork and our admin staff will contact you via email or phone to schedule your tax appointment.  


We Will File your US Return & Additional Filings

Without your review, consent and signature, we cannot electronically file or mail in your tax return! This is the step where additional forms necessary to process your return are also filed (FBAR, 3520…)

You will be instructed to go to our Secure Client Portal to electronically sign your tax return. If for some reason you are unable to electronically sign your return, we can upload signature pages which you can download, print and sign and upload to us on our portal.


Wait…and Wait Some More…

This is the not so fun part! Waiting on the power of attorney, ITIN, IRS transcript and additional forms could take a couple of months. With COVID, the delays at the IRS have increased.


You Sign Canadian Return

We upload your Canadian return for you to sign and send back to us.  This is an important step that cannot be missed!


We Will Mail Canadian Return

We will then mail the return to the Canadian Revenu Agency (CRA) for you.


We Will Send Your Invoice

Our billing staff will send your invoice after you have had your tax appointment with our tax  preparer.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, if you are claiming a tax home in another country, that country has the right to tax worldwide income. You may be entitled to tax credits and exclusions based on your situation.

Yes, though the treaty will decide functional residency for tax purposes

Yes, but only if they consider the income in both countries. You cannot file returns in a vacuum reporting only US income to the US and vice versa. We prefer to do both to ensure accuracy.  Our fee includes doing both because we still must do the work even if we do not submit the return.  So why pay TravelTax and someone else to do the same work?

Days spent in the US is not important, so long as the ties to the other country are sufficient to remain a resident of that nation. Tax treaties trump domestic law so the rules governing tax residence may be based on your treaty claim.

IRS rules limit temporary assignments to less than 12 months in any one metropolitan area, consecutively or non-consecutively. Though you may have treaty protection, your temporary status for deductible living expenses may cease. You may go to another part of the country, but you cannot remain in the same area. The only exception to this rule is a situation where the hospital itself provides housing on their campus – not an off-site apartment AND it is a requirement of your employment.

Want To Learn More?
Sign up for TravelTax University.