An extension gives you until October 15th to file without paying a penalty for failing to file. BUT if you actually OWE, it does not give you an extension on paying. That is still due by April 18th, or you will pay a late payment penalty with interest. We recommend everyone extend regardless of whether you think you need to or not. It costs you nothing, and is the safe play.
To be honest: No. If you do not owe anyone, why should they worry? After all, they get to keep all your lovely money! You can only get it back if you file. And after 3 years, it is theirs for keeps.
Each state has its own individual quirks, but basically follow the IRS pattern. The failure to file penalty is generally larger and easier to avoid by just sending in an extension.
Google. But that is also what we are here for. If your state requires and extension, we will send it in for you. :D
We can only answer this based on what most of our clients do. Most will file the extension to avoid the larger penalty, but not sweat the smaller stuff of the failure to pay penalty. For most clients these individual state penalties average $20-60, but can be as high as $100 or more.

This is the penalty for not filing your return by the due date (including extensions). It is only applied if there is a balance due on your return. The penalty is a 5% on the balance that you still owe, calculated per month, but maxed at 25%.

Think of this as a late payment fee. It is a penalty ranging from ½ to 1% of you unpaid taxes, calculated monthly. It is also maxed out at 25%.

There are a few variables that take too long to explain here, but basically: The governments expect their money to be sent to them throughout the year (by quarterly estimated payments or paycheck withholding). When you don’t pay on time, the government is loaning you the money, so you get to pay the interest. Penalties are imposed to encourage compliance.

Extension Form

While we sympathize with you over the frustrations of not being able to get everything done and completed on time, we would like to encourage you to still extend with us, rather than go off and find any willing body to prepare your taxes. Joe's saying is always: Better to do your taxes late and right, rather than in a rush and wrong.

There are other advantages: You get to talk with us after tax season, when we have all of the time in the world to chat, rather than being squeezed into 30 min time increments while being sleep deprived from working 70-80 hrs a week.

We do over 700 extensions a year, so you are not alone. After tax season, we will take a day or two break, and then pick up where we left off. Most are completed by mid-May. Those who send in their completed workbook and other information, will be put in a queue and kept in order, so still send us your information ASAP.

Extensions are FREE! We don't have the heart to charge for them. Fill in an submit the form at the bottom of the page and you are done. If there are any issues we will contact you via phone or email.

PA - OH - IN - MO RESIDENTS: We do not file municipal extensions. Please check with your local taxing authority to see what you need to do. If you need a copy of the Federal 4868, email us, and we will forward it to you.

Type of Client
Social Security Number
Below list EVERY state you (or/and spouse) worked in last year.
PERMANENT ADDRESS (not temporary assignment)
Whose name was first on last year's return? (New couples: who's name is going to be first?)